Opposite 還是 in front of 呢?

Opposite 用作介系詞時意為「與某人/某物相對;在某人/某物的對面」,而介系詞片語 in front of 意為「在某人/某物的前面」。例如:

  • The bank is opposite the post office. (銀行在郵局的對面) (正)
    The bank is in front of the post office. (誤) - 除非兩棟建築的位置是一前一後。
  • They sat opposite each other. (他們面對面坐著) (正)
    They sat in front of each other. (誤)
  • Jack sat opposite Monica in the restaurant. (傑克和莫妮卡在餐廳裡面對面坐著) (正) - 傑克和莫妮卡坐在同一張餐桌的不同邊,面對面。
    Jack sat in front of Monica in the restaurant. (傑克在餐廳裡坐在莫妮卡的前面) (正) - 傑克和莫妮卡坐在不同的餐桌,傑克坐在莫妮卡的前面。
  • The bus stops right opposite my house. (公車都停在我家的對面) (正)
    The bus stops right in front of my house. (公車都停在我家的前面) (正)
  • We parked opposite the restaurant. (我們把車子停在餐廳的對面) (正)
    We parked in front of the restaurant. (我們把車子停在餐廳的前面) (正)
  • A crowd gathered opposite the movie theater. (電影院對面圍了一大群人) (正)
    A crowd gathered in front of the movie theater. (電影院前圍了一大群人) (正)
  • The car in front of me stopped suddenly and I had to brake. (我前面那輛車突然停住,我只好煞車) (正) - 我的車開在那輛車的後面。
    The car opposite me stopped suddenly and I had to brake. (誤)
  • I keep my girlfriend’s photos in front of me on the desk. (我把女友的照片放在書桌上,擺在我的面前) (正)
    I keep my girlfriend’s photos opposite me on the desk. (誤)
  • There was a man in front of me in the queue for tickets who was as bald as a coot. (排隊買票時,站在我前面的是個童山濯濯的男子) (正)
    There was a man opposite me in the queue for tickets who was as bald as a coot. (誤)